The email newsletter is a cool way to access information that is technically ancient, but is somehow making an improbable comeback. This Wired article explains the appeal succinctly.
The India Ink Newsletter Directory is a community resource for people to discover and share newsletters about or from India.
Please do contribute and share and help grow the medium! Anybody can submit a newsletter for listing in the directory through the form.
General News & Opinion
- Reuters India Morning Newsletter: A daily morning note from our Editors picking out the top stories, news and analysis on the events that drive the markets.
- The Third Slip: A newsletter that brings you all the major news of the week: the big, the trending, the stuff you missed, the bizarre. Just ten minutes every Sunday. With humour. Written by Tony Sebastian and Deepak Gopalakrishnan.
- Daily Kiwi: Daily newsletter with opinions and insights from across news sources, curated by Chakshu Roy.
- The Big Scope: Daily newsletter that helps users find the videos they may have missed from the day before, plus some notable videos from the past couple of months. Cover news, business, tech, music, culture, food and much more.
- The Newsbury: 5-minute daily read that covers the latest happenings from around the world in a fun, easy to read, conversational tone. News coverage is general, but the target audience is female Indian professionals.
- Kat’s Kable: A weekly compilation of longform journalism from around the Internet, ranging from topics such as literature and sport to technology and politics. Sent to your inbox every weekend, punctuated by fun and sometimes esoteric special editions.
- Broadsheet: An email each weekday morning at 9:30 AM with the significant news stories of the day—in which Lakshmi Chaudhry and Shuba Visweswaran break down complex issues concisely and tell you what you need to know and why it matters.
- Inkmango: A curated selection of the best writing on South Asia(ns), delivered weekly.
- The Political Fix: The most important headlines, analysis and opinions from across the Indian political landscape, delivered to your inbox, every Monday.
- Contumacious Curmudgeon: Weekly updates on the law, courts, and other institutions in India and elsewhere, with a streak of sarcasm and a healthy dose of opinion. Curated and written by legal expert Alok Prasanna Kumar.
- Dalit Media Watch: Daily newsletter that compiles media coverage of issues related to Dalits in India. Content may be in Hindi or English.
- Life of Labour: A weekly compilation of important labour developments from India and around the world delivered to your inbox every Sunday at 10 am. Curated and written by Srividya Tadepalli, Thomas Manuel, and Venkat T.
- PRS Legislative Research: Updates on Parliamentary proceedings, briefings about proposed bills, and concise analyses of laws from PRS India.
- Policy & Governance for Dummies: Weekly newsletter that focuses on one or two issues of importance hidden deep within the pages of national newspapers, and which actually will make a difference to our lives. Written by Mithun Madhusudan.
- CASI Newsletter: Bi-weekly newsletter from the University of Pennsylvania’s Center for Advanced Study of India. Features updates about the latest research about India from the scholars at CASI and elsewhere.
- National Election Watch: Research reports and updates regarding electoral and political reforms from the Association for Democratic Reforms. Mails may be more frequent during elections.
- Eye on China: A weekly bulletin offering news and analysis related to the Middle Kingdom. Curated by Manoj Kewalramani.
- DisFact: Weekly India newsletter about politics, policy and the economy.
Business & Tech
- Digital Republic: One-stop shop for the most important, interesting, and insightful stories from the Indian tech space, that provide a peek into the societal impact of tech in India.
- New Delhi Business Journal: Delhi-NCR’s most interesting roundup of weekly business stories. Curated by Abhishek Rai.
- Business Growth Essentials: Starts with a 12-day email course about growing your business that then becomes a weekly newsletter with business growth hacks and tips.
- Velocity: An email newsletter every Sunday with new ideas handpicked from 100+ sources of information (stories, videos, gifs, podcasts, products, random stats) from the past week. Links are mostly about business, technology, and the business of technology.
- Medianama: Information and analysis on digital and telecom businesses in India.
- Asia Tech Review: List of the most important tech and related news out of Asia. Curated weekly by TechCrunch writer Jon Russell.
- The Art of Data Science: Newsletter about data science and analytics and quant and business intelligence and everything related. Mostly unadulterated opinion, with some facts here and there. Curated by Karthik Shashidhar.
- Long and Short: A weekly dispatch on economics and finance that’s intended to ensure that the business press jargon isn’t keeping you from knowing what’s really happening to your money (and that of your neighbour).
Science, Health, and the Environment
- Mongabay India: This week’s environment and conservation news stories rolled into one.
- Research Matters: Weekly digest of of research-based news stories and highlights from the fields of science, engineering, technology, and the humanities in India.
- India Water Portal: Weekly mailer that features news and knowledge updates on the subject of water.
- Scroll.in Pulse: Health and wellness stories sent weekly.
- India Environment Portal: Weekly updates about the state of the environment and development in India.
- Infinite in All Directions: A weekly science newsletter by Vasudevan Mukunth, science editor of The Wire.
- Mental Health Digest: Fortnightly round up of articles and information on mental health by the White Swan Foundation.
- SeasonWatch: Newsletter of the India-wide program that studies the changing seasons by monitoring the seasonal cycles of flowering, fruiting, and leaf-flush of common trees.
- The Good Food Newsletter: A monthly roundup of inspiring, positive news stories from India and other developing countries about agriculture, food, sustainability and healthy living.
- Edible Issues: The most important food news from India, carefully curated and brought to you by Anusha and Elizabeth. Dispatched fortnightly.
Literature & the Arts
- Indian Writers’ Forum Newsletter: News and perspectives regarding literature and the arts in India (scroll to the bottom of the page to see the subscribe option).
- Scroll.in Books & Ideas: : Noteworthy from the world of books & ideas, curated by noted translator of Indian literature, Arunava Sinha.
- Dear Reader: News, reviews, interviews, and discussions about books, curated by author and journalist Deepanjana Pal.
- The Alipore Post: A weekly newsletter that shares art, poetry, music and other links from hidden corners of the internet. Curated by Rohini Kejriwal.
- Podtalk: Updates and analysis of the most important stories in podcasting, conversations with creators, and podcast recommendations. Produced by podtalk.co
- Strange Animals: A weekly newsletter about comics and sundry by comic letterer and occasional writer Aditya Bidikar.
- Translations: By Arunava Sinha. Translations of Bengali poetry and fiction into English delivered at unpredictable intervals to your inbox.
- Jukebox Mash: A newsletter put out twice a month containing a curated playlist of fresh music pertaining to specific themes/moods/genres. Each playlist also tries to feature an Indian independent artist.
- Rethink Aadhaar: Detailed reports from courts, Parliament, and the grassroots for people critically following the Aadhaar/UID project in India.
- National Alliance of People’s Movements: Updates from India’s largest grouping of people’s organisations and movements aimed at establishing decentralised democratic development.
- Citizens for Justice and Peace: Updates from Citizens for Justice and Peace about minority rights, freedom of expression, criminal justice reform, and child rights.
- International Dalit Solidarity Network: Monthly overview of key national and international-level developments in the fight against caste discrimination, calls to action, press clippings, IDSN reports, recommendations and briefing materials.
- Narmada Bachao Andolan: Information and updates from the struggle against the destructive Sardar Sarovar Dam in the Narmada Valley.
- Green Clearance Watch: Updates from the Center for Science & Environment’s public information system that tracks and analyses environmental clearances for development projects.
- The Internet: Personified: A weekly round up of interesting stories and amazing things that are also sometimes useful, curated by Meenakshi Reddy Madhavan.
- Supriya: A monthly (or thereabouts) email about the work of writer and editor, Supriya Nair.
- Letters from Vimoh: Weekly writings on media, culture, and creativity by Vijayendra Mohanty.
- The Long and the Short of it: Articles, essays, opinion, and the occasional event alert from journalist and author, Snigdha Poonam.
- Janaki Lenin: Articles about the environment and conservation curated by nature and wildlife writer, Janaki Lenin.
- The Rejected Lede: Languid everyday observations about the world, not-so-short fiction and things on the Internet which will make you think, laugh or tremble in rage – sometimes, all three – written and curated by Maanvi.